The Meanjin Cultural and Literary Advisory supports the Editor’s decision-making on:
- First Nations matters
- Cultural sensitivity
- Writer referral
- Historical and political context
- The Meanjin ethos.
The group comprises seven writers and literary experts of whom at least three are Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, at least five have a lived experience of cultural and racial marginalisation, and one is a former Editor of Meanjin. Both solicited and unsolicited advice characterise the group’s work, and they are recognised in each issue of Meanjin.
The inaugural members are:
- Dan Bourchier (First Nations coastal Victorian): journalist, radio and television presenter
- Sophie Cunningham AM (Meanjin Editor 2008-2011): author and editor
- Winnie Dunn: author, editor, and Co-CEO of Sweatshop Literacy Movement
- Samantha Faulkner (Wuthuthi/Yadhaigana and Badu and Moa Islands, Torres Strait): poet and Treasurer of the First Nations Australia Writers Network
- Grace Lucas-Pennington (Bunjalung): editor, poet, mentor, Managing Editor of State Library Of Queensland’s black&write! Project, Byron Bay Writers Festival Board Member
- Jinghua Qian: writer, critic, cross-platform storyteller
- Christos Tsiolkas: novelist, playwright and critic.